Literacy and Revision Tips for Year 10 & 11
General advice regarding literacy:
- Read a variety of texts in your own time regularly. You should be reading fiction as well as non fiction.
- When reading, highlight and annotate significant parts. Writing notes and summaries during or after reading is also an effective way of revising and remembering information.
- Knowing how to skim and scan texts effectively will be useful for research, revision and in actual examinations. Skimming is quickly casting your eyes over a piece of text to get the gist of it and to discover if it is of interest or relevance to you. Scanning is looking for specific information when you know what you are looking for.
- Have a dictionary and thesaurus available in your home and use these when writing to help with vocabulary and spellings.
- Check over your work once completed.
- Ask someone at home or a friend to check/read over your work. However parents should draw their child’s attention to errors made rather than correcting them themselves.